- Avoid aspirin or any aspirin-containing medications for 3 weeks before surgery. These medications can increase your tendency for bleeding and bruising. Examples of aspirin-containing medications include: Advil, Entrophen, ASA, 222s, Naprosyn, Vioxx and other anti-inflammatories. If necessary, Tylenol can be used.
- If you are a smoker, try to cut down as much as possible prior to surgery. Nicotine is known to negatively affect healing and scar formation.
- Try to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet in the weeks leading up to surgery. A daily multivitamin is okay but all other supplements and naturopathic medications should be stopped 1-2 weeks prior to surgery.
- Depending upon the surgery that you are undergoing, you may find ice packs soothing in the first few days following surgery. Probably the simplest way to prepare is to have one or two bags of frozen peas or corn in the freezer. It is simple, inexpensive and works well.
- If you are having breast or body surgery, you may be limited in terms of your ability to reach high over your head in the first few days after surgery. Prepare for this by moving any necessary clothing or kitchen items that are on top shelves out onto a counter top prior to surgery.
- For breast surgery patients, purchase one or two comfortable cotton sports bras in the size that you have discussed with Dr. Brown or Dr. Somogyi. You will be wearing these for the first several weeks after surgery.
- On the day of surgery, bring something easy to put on when you are going home, such as a top with buttons or a front zipper. Avoid tops that have to be pulled on over your head.
- All patients will receive a prescription for pain medication and antibiotics (if necessary) to be taken after surgery. If you wish to pick up your prescription prior to surgery, please let us know and we will give the prescription to you at your preoperative appointment.
- Take a shower and wash well with regular soap the night before surgery and again on the morning of surgery.
Click the printer icon below to print this list.