Dr. Brown is the founder and co-course director of the Toronto Annual Breast Surgery Symposium, Canada’s largest annual medical symposium of its kind. In 2011, Dr. Brown also founded Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Day, an annual day to acknowledge the need for education, access and awareness for breast reconstruction following the treatment of breast cancer. BRA Day is now recognized in over twenty-five countries worldwide.
Dr. Brown is a Professor of Surgery in the Department of Surgery at the University of Toronto. He recently completed a ten-year term as Residency Program Director for the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He has published numerous articles in the field of plastic surgery and is well recognized on both a national and international level. Dr. Brown has been quoted extensively in the media as a spokesperson on issues of plastic, reconstructive and cosmetic surgery. His interviews have included appearances on CBC Radio and Television, City TV, The Life Channel and Canada AM.
Dr. Brown was awarded the RealSelf Top Doctor status, designation given to less than 10% of all RealSelf doctors.
Dr. Mitchell Brown, B.Sc., M.D., M.Ed., F.R.C.S.C., is a graduate of the University of Western Ontario Faculty of Medicine in London, Ontario. He completed his medical degree in 1988, and received the gold medal for the top standing in his graduating class. Dr. Brown went on to complete a comprehensive surgical internship at Toronto Western Hospital, followed by a five-year residency in plastic surgery at the University of Toronto. In addition to this, Dr. Brown completed a Masters in Education and was involved in developing new techniques to teach and evaluate technical performance in the operating room. In 1994, Dr. Brown became a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in plastic surgery.
In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Brown contributes regularly to the plastic surgery community through his involvement in various societies, invited lectures and scientific publications, as peer-read and peer-edited journals are an important teaching aid in the field of plastic surgery.
Dr. Brown has published extensively in peer and non-peer reviewed scientific journals including:
- Brown MH, Invited Discussion on: Subfascial Breast Augmentation with Crossed Fascial Sling, Under Tumescent Anesthesia with or Without Sedation and Lower Periareolar Access. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 2020 (1-2) DOI: 10.1007/s00266-020-01788-x
- Montemurro P, Adams WP, Mallucci P, De Vita R, Layt C, Calobrace B, Brown MH,
Nava M, Teitelbaum S, Martin del Yerro J, Bengtson B, Maxwell GP, Heden P: Why do we need anatomical implants? The science and rationale for maintaining their availability and use in breast surgery. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 2020: 44: pp 253-263
- Brown MH: Commentary on Transaxillary Endoscopic approach to Capsular Contracture following Previous Breast Augmentation: Operative Technique and Clinical Outcome (DOI 10.1007/s00266-019-01551-x). Aesthetic Plastic Surgery: 2020: 44: pp 35-36
- Brown MH: Invited Discussion on: Breast Auto-augmentation (Mastopexy and Lipofilling): An Option for Quitting Breast Implants. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery: 2019: 43(5): pp 1142-1144.
- Somogyi R, Ziolkowski N, Osman F, Ginty A, Brown MH: Breast Reconstruction: Updated overview for primary care physicians. Canadian Family Physician: 2018: 64 (6): pp 424-432.
- McInerney NM, Narod S, Metcalf K, Semple J, Brown MH. (2017) Breast cancer genetics for plastic surgeons. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: 2017: 140(3): pp 455-460.
- Armstrong, K, Coyte P, Brown MH, Beber B, Semple J. (2017) Effect of home monitoring via mobile app on the number of in-person up visits after surgery. A Randomized Clinical Trial – doi:10-1001/jam asurg.2017.0111. JAMA
- Brown MH, Aggarwal S, Somogyi R. (2016) Continuing Medical Education – Secondary breast augmentation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: 2016: 138:1.
- Somogyi RB, Brown MH. (2015) Outcomes in primary breast augmentation: A single surgeon’s review of 1539 consecutive cases. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: 2015: 135: pp 87-97.
- Brown MH, Isaac K, Murphy B, Beber B. (2015) The reliability of anthropometric measurements used preoperatively in aesthetic brest surgery. Aesthetic Surgery Journal
- Davidge K, Brown MH, Morgan P, Semple J. (2013) Process of care in autogenous breast reconstruction with pedicled TRAM flaps: Expediting postoperative discharge in an ambulatory setting. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. V.132-3, Pages 339e-344e.
- Metcalf K, Semple J, Brown M, et al. (2012) Changes in psychosocial functioning one year after mastectomy alone, delayed reconstruction or immediate reconstruction. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2012 Jan;19(1):233-41. doi: 10.1245/s10434-011-1828-7.
- Adams W, Bengtson B, Brody G, Brown M et al. (2011) Managing late periprosthetic fluid collections in patients with breast implants: A consensus panel recommendation and review of the literature. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Panchapakesan V, Brown MH. (2009) Management of tuberous breast deformity with anatomic cohesive silicone gel breast implants. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 2009 Jan;33(1):49-53. doi: 10.1007/s00266-008-9234-7.
- Brown MH, Shenker R, Silver S. (2005) Cohesive silicone gel breast implants in aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2005 Sep;116(3):768-79; discussion 780-1.
- Wanzel KR, Brown MH, Anastakis DJ, Regehr G. (2002) Reconstructive Breast Surgery: Referring Physician Knowledge and Learning Needs. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2002 Nov;110(6):1441-50; discussion 1451-4.
- Armour AD, Rotenberg BW, Brown MH. (2001) A Comparison of Two Methods of Infiltration in Breast Reduction Surgery. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2001 Aug;108(2):343-7.
- Brown MH, Markus M, Belchetz B, Vearncombe M, Semple JL. (2002) Microbial growth in saline breast implants and saline tissue expanders. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 2002 Jun;109(7):2242-4; discussion 2245-6.
- Brown MH, Weinberg M, Chong N, Levine R, Holowaty E. (1999) A Cohort Study of Breast Cancer Risk in Breast Reduction Patients. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1999 May;103(6):1674-81.
- Brown MH, Semple JL, Neligan PC. (1995) Variables Affecting Symmetry of the Nipple-Areola Complex. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1995 Sep;96(4):846-51.
Invited Book Chapters
- Brown MH: Revision Breast Augmentation – Prevention and Management. In: Atlas of Aesthetic Breast Surgery. Editors L. Pu, M. Jewell. 2021
- Retrouvey H, Hanna S, Bengtson B, Brown MH: The Nomenclature, Terminology and Lexicon of Breast Surgery: Are We Really Saying the Same Thing? Clinics in Plastic Surgery 2020
- Brown MH, Beber B, Somogyi RB: Skin sparing mastectomy: Planned two-stage and direct to implant breast reconstruction. In: Plastic Surgery. 4th Edition, v.5, Breast. (P. Neligan: ed.) Elsevier, 2018: pp 248-266.
- Brown MH: Planning and technique in subpectoral breast augmentation – Video book chapter. In: Aesthetic and reconstructive surgery video series. – Dr. Philip Blondeel. 2015.
- Brown MH, Somogyi R: Surgical Strategies in the Correction of the Tuberous Breast. In: Clinics in Plastic Surgery – Breast Augmentation. V.42, I.4. (Elsevier: ed.) 2015: pp 531-549.
- Brown MH. “Secondary Breast Augmentation” Plastic Surgery, 3rd Edition. Dr. P. Neligan. Elsevier (2012)
- Brown MH: Primary and secondary mastopexy augmentation. Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery of the Breast, Hall-Findlay E, Evans G. Elsevier (2010)
- Brown MH: Revision augmentation with anatomical form stable silicone gel implants. Surgery of the Breast: Principles and Art, 3rd Edition. Spear S. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins (2010)
Dr. Brown has presented more than 50 peer reviewed papers at scientific meetings. Some of the key papers are listed below:
- Steen K, Isaac K, Murphy B, Beber B, Brown M. “3D imaging and breast measurements: How predictable are we?” Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, Winnipeg, MB, Jun 23, 2017.
- Knox A, Shih J, Courtemanche D, Fish J, Brown M. “Performance of paediatric core procedural competencies amongst Canadian plastic surgery residents.” Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, Winnipeg, MB, Jun 23, 2017.
- Shih J, Fish J, Brown MH, Zhygan N, Knox A, Courtemance D: Podium Presentation: “Assessment of core procedural competencies amongst Canadian plastic surgery residents.” Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, Ottawa, ON, Jun 2016.
- Armstrong K, Davidge K, Brown MH, Morgan P, Li M, Cunningham L, Semple J. “Quality of recovery in women undergoing autogenous breast reconstruction in an ambulatory setting.” American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, Chicago, ILL, Oct 12, 2014.
- Semple J, Davidge K, Brown MH. “Process of care in autogenous breast reconstruction with pedicled TRAM flap: Expediting post-operative discharge in an ambulatory setting.” International Congress of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. Vancouver, BC. May 24, 2012
- Harry L, Morgan P, Davidge K, Brown M, Semple, J. “The Toronto experience with latissimus dorsi flap breast reconstruction in an ambulatory setting.” British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. London, UK. December 4, 2012
- Howley B, Brown MH, Semple J. “Treatment of tuberous breast deformity with cohesive gel implants.” Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, Hamilton, ON, Jun 4, 2004.
- Davidge K, Brown MH. Cohesive Gel Implants in Aesthetic and Reconstructive Breast Surgery. Canadian Society of Plastic Surgery, Quebec City, Quebec, Jun 16, 2006.
- Brown MH. “Transition from saline to silicone gel filled implants in primary breast augmentation.” 19th Congress International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Melbourne, Australia, Feb 12, 2008.
- Brown MH. “Non-surgical fat removal with external ultrasound.” Canadian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Montreal, Quebec, Sep 13, 2008.
- Mrad MA, Al-Hodaib N, Brown M. “Use of alloderm in breast surgery, review of the literature and initial Canadian case series”. Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons: 63rd Annual Meeting, Kelowna, BC, Jun 2009.
- Davidge K, Levine R, Brown M. “Comparative outcomes of smooth versus textured round gel implants in primary breast augmentation.” American Society of Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Oct 4, 2010.
The Aesthetic Meeting 20/20@home, Las Vegas, Nevada
Revision breast surgery
Cirugia Plastica Online V, Problem Cases in Breast Surgery, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Managing challenging cases in breast surgery
Aesthetic Breast Surgery: The Virtual Meeting, Milan, Italy
Trans top surgery, Technical refinements in breast augmentation
Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Atlanta, Georgia
Fat grafting, Transgender Top Surgery, Textured Breast Implants
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, New Orleans, Louisiana
Revision breast implant surgery, What to know about ALCL
VI Sao Paulo Breast Symposium, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mastopexy Augmentation Surgery, Managing implant problems
The Oncoplastic Breast Meeting, Milan, Italy
TRAM flap breast recon, Managing radiation, Education in breast surgery
Atlanta Breast Surgery Symposium, Atlanta, Georgia
Managing breast ptosis, Female to male breast surgery
CATBBAS meeting, Brussels, Belgium
Treating cellulite with Cellfina
Aesthetic Surgery of the Breast and Body, St. Petersburg, Russia
Video presentation mastopexy augmentation, Managing the tuberous breast with fat, Secondary breast implant surgery
Secondary Surgery Symposium, Cologne, Germany
Live Surgery Revision Augmentation Mastopexy, Secondary surgery in the aesthetic breast patient
Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Nipple sparing mastectomy and immediate reconstruction
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Orlando, Florida
Managing breast asymmetry, Treatment of capsular contracture
Atlanta Breast Surgery Symposium, Atlanta, Georgia
Live Surgery demonstrating revision techniques in breast surgery, Lessons learned from fat grafting to the breast
Barcelona Breast Meeting, Barcelona, Spain
Using ADM in breast reconstruction, Solving problems in revision breast reduction
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Las Vegas Nevada
Aesthetic breast reconstruction
Paris Breast Rendez-vous Meeting, Paris, France
Strategies to minimize complications in aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery
Red Sea Aesthetic and Reconstructive International Symposium, Eilat, Israel
Approaches to aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery
International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Eilat, Israel
ISAPS Course on Aesthetic Surgery
The Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, Atlanta Breast Surgery Symposium, Atlanta, GA
American Society of Plastic Surgeons Meeting, Chicago, MI
Implant-based breast reconstruction; Rapid recovery following flap-based breast reconstruction
Atlantic Society of Plastic Surgery Meeting Rome Breast Surgery Symposium, Rome Italy
London Breast Meeting, London, England
The use of fat in aesthetic breast surgery
American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons Meeting, San Francisco, CA Instructional course: Direct-to-implant breast reconstruction
Aesthetic Symposium at the American Association of Plastic Surgeons 93rd Annual Meeting, Miami, FL Shaping the breast with anatomic implants
Seventh European Conference on Reconstructive Surgery of the Breast., Milan, Italy Use of shaped implants in breast reconstruction
Beauty Through Science, Stockholm, Sweden Panel Moderator: Options in breast implant options
17th Advanced Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Workshop 2013, Melbourne, Australia
Primary Breast Augmentation – How do I do it?
Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons – 29th Annual Atlanta Breast Surgery Symposium, Atlanta, Georgia
Live surgery telecast: Primary breast augmentation with textured implants
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, New Orleans, LA
Panel Moderator: Minimizing re-operations in the breast implant patient
Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons, Toronto, ON
An eye-opener session: Revision of the unsatisfactory aesthetic breast augmentation
ASAPS – Expanding Horizons Symposium, Las Vegas, NV
SESPRS, Atlanta Breast Surgery Symposium, Atlanta, GA
Implant selection in breast surgery: review of 1700 cases
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, Denver, CO
The use of 3D imaging in breast surgery; Managing the complicated breast implant patient.
Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Atlanta, GA
Alloderm-assisted breast surgery
American Society of Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting, Toronto, ON
Panel: Managing the secondary augmentation patient
American Society of Plastic Surgical Nurses Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV
Combination therapy in aesthetic surgery
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Breast Surgery & Body Contouring Symposium, Santa Fe, NM
Shaped implants in challenging breast situations
International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Asia Pacific Conference, Tokyo, Japan
Moderator – Breast augmentation panel
Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, Seocho-ku, Seoul, Korea
Implants in aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery; An approach to facial injections in a plastic surgical practice.
Plastic Surgery Education Foundation, Breast and Body Contouring Symposium, Chicago, IL
Textured gel implants in breast surgery
Brazilian Society of Plastic Surgery, Brasilia, Brazil
Breast implant selection
National Capital Society of Plastic Surgery, Ottawa, ON
Textured versus smooth surface gel implants
Toronto Annual Breast Surgery Symposium, Toronto, ON
Current Status of Gel Implants in Canada
- CSPS (Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons)
- CSAPS (Canadian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons)
- OSPS (Ontario Society of Plastic Surgeons)
- ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons)
- ISAPS (International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons)
- RCPSC (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
In addition to this, Dr. Brown has participated in the following activities:
- Founder and Co-Course Director of the Annual Toronto Breast Surgery Symposium, Canada’s largest annual meeting dedicated to aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery.
- Member of the Scientific Program Committee, Breast Sub-Committee of the American Society of Plastic Surgery.
- Member of the Examination Development Committee, Plastic Surgery Section of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Invited lecturer at the Allergan Teaching Academy on Aesthetic and Reconstructive Breast Surgery.
- Invited member, expert advisory panel for Health Canada on the safety of silicone gel breast implants.
- Invited to perform live surgical demonstration on breast augmentation and breast lift at the Atlanta Breast Surgery Symposium
- Dr. Brown is the residency training Program Director for the Division of Plastic Surgery at the University of Toronto
- Founder of the Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day, “BRA Day”. Chairman of the international organizing committee for the Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day.
- Local host chair of the American Society of Plastic Surgeon’s annual meeting in Toronto – 2010